Monday, September 20, 2010

Foodies Unite!


Whenever I go to Santa Cruz, I call it my alternate universe because for two days, I eat whatever I want as if calories are an old wives' tale. This weekend was no different - it was a foodie friend's birthday, and we went all out.

Brunch was at Backstage Kitchen, next to the Rio theater downtown. You can check out the menu if you'd like! I had the créme brulée french toast with fruit, and my boyfriend had the artichoke quiche with ricotta and fresh mozzarella. Delicious, but I would recommend ordering two entreés just for yourself, as you may still be hungry after just one... plus it's impossible to choose.

We then went wine tasting at the Byington Winery and Vineyards. Even though I don't particularly enjoy wine (except Moscato... yes, I have the taste buds of a twelve year old), the scenery was beautiful and the grapes on the vine looked
amazing.
For dinner we went to Caruso's Tuscan Cuisine in Capitola Village. A little bit pricier than I usually do for dinner, but delicious pasta and amazing desserts. Try the profiteroles, which are cream puffs covered in this cold ice-creamy chocolate mousse. alsdkfjaklsdfjs.

As if that weren't enough, the next day we went to Gayle's for lunch. Gayle's is famous all over for their cakes and pastries, but they also have hot food, salads, sandwiches, and a slew of other desserts. I had the lemon grilled chicken, spinach gorgonzola pasta, and dark chocolate raspberry ganache cake. Next time I'm getting the twice-baked potato and the orange buttercrunch roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment